Thursday, November 28, 2013

Frosty morning

Over the last few months I have neglected my daily exercise routine.  After stepping on the scales a few weeks ago, I was not surprised, nor delighted to see that the pounds I had so diligently shed in the last year are slowly creeping back.  The one thing I knew I had to do was...hit the trail again, and make it a priority.
I waited until gun season was over and started the next morning bright and early.
Some observations.  It takes quite a few layers of clothing when I start my routine as the sun is peeping over the southeast horizon.  But as the minutes up and down the hill pass by, the layers come off one by one until I am striding along in sweatshirt and gloves.  Quite a sizable pile has grown in that spot where I leave my water bottle and pause to take a deep breath or two before I resume my walk.
Frost is everywhere.  It covers the grass, the weeds, the road.  And the rising sun adds to the beauty of it all.  Nothing like a diamond strewn net of frost on the pasture grass to bring a smile to your heart.
Sometimes the wind is fierce.  It feels good on my face when I warm up climbing the steeper part of the hill.  My fingers, that were basically freezing, even begin to thaw as I walk a little faster.  I really relish moving against the wind.  When I move into the shelter of the tree-lined road the contrast is remarkable.
I am glad that I can take this time early in the day to walk.  I see so many things that are new to me.  What is the name of that plant?  What kind of hawk is that, soaring high and then dropping low just beyond the walnut tree?  Where does the squirrel that just hopped over that nearby branch have his nest?
I welcome each new day.   It is truly a gift to me.  Thankfully, I walk on. 

2 comments:

  1. i too have been neglecting my walking routine and put a few pounds back on.my goal is to get back up to at least walking 2 miles 6 days a week. its cold here today--highs in the 20's but no wind so good for walking. 2 things in my life that i NEED to make more a priority is my time in the word and my time walking! hope your thanksgiving was a good one!--karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, agree. We had a good thanksgiving. I am trying to really make the walking part of my routine...and I too need to concentrate on the word...very much a priority in my life too.

    ReplyDelete