Saturday, August 30, 2014

....on the just, and on the unjust....

....and (God) sendeth the rain on the just and on the unjust....(Matthew 5:45)
I was standing in the kitchen just a minute or two ago, contemplating my cupboard and wondering  what we would have for supper tonight.  (This is an almost daily problem with me, the definite housewife WITHOUT a plan.)
Suddenly I was aware of a change outside.  Looking out the kitchen door I thought I saw rain.  Could it be rain?  We had a brief but intense little thunder storm with wind yesterday.  And this morning we had a sprinkle or two after which the sun came out and made it just plain muggy.
Going from window to door again I could see it was indeed raining.  Not a blowing rain but a nice steady shower.  Just what we need.
The last few weeks have been mainly rain-less, except for a few lucky folks in the neighborhood. (Almost 2 inches in some places I have been told.)  And we need rain.  We need moisture.  Ponds are drying up.  Gardens are dying.  Animals are suffering in the dry, unrelenting heat that only late August in the Ozarks can bring.
I took a snack, got my handy-dandy folding chair and went to sit out on the all-around porch.  The beauty of an all-around porch is that you can usually find a place out of the wind, sun, snow, or, as is in this case, rain to sit for a moment and enjoy the view.
It was a beautiful rain.  The rain that I remember from my childhood.  Soft smelling, spirit restoring rain.  The grass that was crunchy melted with the water's tender touch on brown-tipped blades.  Puddles formed at the bottom of the step and soaked into the parched dry ground.  If you closed your eyes you might have heard the earth sighing in relief.
I thought about all the people who were out on the lake and river celebrating this long holiday weekend.  They were getting wet.  They might have had to change their plans for a brief minute or two.  Hopefully, they weren't in any situation where they couldn't find cover if needed.  I have been rained on while floating the river.  It is not bad.  Then again, the things you want to keep dry get soaked.  But you are on the water.....and it is warm out.  You'll dry...and so will your gear.
The scripture that reads...and sends the rain on the just and the unjust...popped into my head.  Some people wanted rain today.  Some people did not want rain today.
As for me, it gave me a welcome break from decision-making.  And after my little rest I went back in the kitchen and started the spaghetti sauce cooking. 
Nothing like a rain shower to revive your spirits...whether you consider yourself among the just.....or the unjust.
 

2 comments:

  1. we got some steady light rain yesterday and a torrential downpour this afternoon. i saw some stats from the summer so far. june, july, aug. all above average in temperature, although we did not go above 90 at all. all three months above average rainfall. the leaves are turning and fall is upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you all had rain. Ours was pretty good until about a month ago. Our temps haven't been super high like they were last year....over two weeks with over 100 degrees last summer! Too much. I always think about fall in Maine and New England when September rolls around. Even in late August we could tell that fall was on its way.

    ReplyDelete