Thursday, October 2, 2014

Lessons from my mom. Part 1

I have learned many lessons from my mom.  Here she is on her 95th birthday in September of 2005.  And she is truly looking forward to having a piece of that chocolate cake. 
My mother's philosophy.  When dessert is presented, eat it first.  That was her motto and she loved to follow it through.  I fixed breakfast for her for three years.  And, without fail, she would polish it off with three scoops of chocolate ice cream.  The only reason she didn't get the ice cream first is because I was the one serving and I thought that it was better for her to have her oatmeal, three soft boiled eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast and jelly and four cups of coffee BEFORE she tucked into the final course.
When her older sister passed away in Oklahoma my mother was sad.  She was the only one left of all her ten siblings.  But she did say this to me, "They tell me that Rosa passed away in the dining room at the Nursing Home.  I certainly hope that she had the good sense to eat her dessert first!"
I have been thinking about my mother and her many sayings lately.  Her 104th birthday would have been celebrated a few weeks ago, on the 19th.  She lived a full and exciting life.  A challenge is all she needed to get her motor roaring.  Life to her was a banquet.  Never pass up a chance to experience something new, or unique.
Perhaps this is a lesson for me these days.  When new things present themselves maybe I better go for the most alluring.  The sparkle.  The glitz.  The excitement.  You never know what might happen.  Go for it.
And always remember to eat your dessert first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment