Tuesday, November 10, 2015

East, West, Home is Best

It seems as if the weeks between September 24th, when we left Ozark County and headed east, and October 31st when we finally crossed the county line, after many miles of driving and many happy days of visiting and being shown the sights of Cape Cod and beyond....it seems as if those weeks were a dream.
But home we are.  And hopefully, we will stay here on the hill for a few more weeks before we venture out on a trip again.
Don't get me wrong.  I had a wonderful time.  Fried clams, clam chowder, donuts every morning with good coffee and better company.  Long walks on the ocean beach.  Reading in my lawn chair looking out over the azure blue of  Great Pond reflecting the October sky.  Whale watch.  Ferry ride to Nantucket and spending the night in a garret room overlooking a cobblestone street.  
Cold mornings, warm afternoons, nights when the stars and the moon shone so brightly you could have sworn they were moving down so you could touch them.  Lovely sunsets, spectacular sunrises.
And yet.....when we set out from Paducah that Halloween morning all my heart could say was...I  am going home.  I am  just a few hours away.  And I am going home.
It is good to travel.  It is good to touch base with family and friends.  I always regret that we live so far apart and our time together seems all the more precious because of that distance.
But precious too is seeing those familiar hills rising up to meet me.  Each familiar house.  Each lovely curve in the road.
Calling.  Calling me home. 

2 comments: