Friday, November 15, 2019

Freedom, Sweet Freedom

Yesterday, when I went out to sweep my porch, I heard the cry of an eagle overhead.  Rushing to look over the railing and up to the sky I could see three of them, soaring above me, riding a thermal, sun shining on their wings.  The blue above and the outline of these beautiful birds left me standing there for the longest time, mesmerized by their grace and beauty.
What a perfect symbol the bald eagle is for our country.  For our freedom.  We are so fortunate that they are frequent visitors to our area, especially during the times of year when we can appreciate them.  They often sit in the trees over the rivers and ponds, waiting to catch the fish that circle below. 
Long ago when I was in elementary school we often sang that wonderful song that begins "My country 'tis of thee, Sweet land of liberty, Of thee I sing..."  Seeing those eagles soaring above me made me think how very fortunate I am to live here.  And how very sweet freedom is.
Freedom to come and go as I please.  No one prevents me from walking or driving down my road.  
Freedom to gather and talk with my friends and neighbors without fear of being arrested.
Freedom to speak my mind.  Freedom to worship where I please.  Freedom to earn a living.  Freedom to own a little patch of ground that I can call my own for as long as I live.  Freedom to choose who will represent me and my needs for the the greater good.  Too often we take this blessing for granted.  We were born to be free. Many times we..myself included..take that freedom for granted.
Seeing those wonderful birds flying across the sky and down toward the valley...looking for a perch above the creek...reminded me just how sweet that freedom is.
Freedom...sweet freedom indeed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment