Wednesday, November 18, 2020

That Special Day

What is better than a dinner with friends?  I have eaten many a good holiday meal with Joe and Maxine Lord , Jon and Johanna.  The above picture shows my brothers, Paul to the left, and Derek to the right lifting their glasses in a toast.  It looks like Joe is entering into the festivities.  My mom sits in the middle, laughing as usual.  And Derek's wife Rhoda is seated at the end next to Joe.  I assume that Maxine took the picture.
Evidently I was not present.  Who knows why.  Since Derek and Rhoda and Paul are in the picture, I think this was taken after I was married and away from home.  Perhaps I was celebrating with Andy's family in Maryland.
The whole point of my post is to remember those great times we have all enjoyed with the ones we hold dear.  All of the people in this picture are gone.  One by one they left my life.  And I am still here, alone with wonderful memories and a sadness that is sometimes overwhelming.
So many people can relate to this emotion during these happy times of year.  Family gatherings that are tinged with regret but still full of love and laughter.  I choose to remember with gladness the family that raised me.  I choose to cherish the gifts they gave me....love, acceptance, and a desire to be a person  they could be proud of.
It sounds trite.  But it is true.
This holiday time will be different for so many of us.  But if we would just think about all we have right now.  If we can acknowledge the sadness that will always be there.  The hole in our hearts.  The empty chair at the table.  We can then reach out and feel the warmth of their love for us.  And our love for them...around the table of life.  And especially on that special day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment