Tuesday, September 21, 2021

The Magic of the Turning Season

First question?  Did you get any rain today?  We did.  And it was most welcome.  The dry and dusty roads, the dead and dying grass, the heat that threatened to overcome you at midday.  All were forgotten with a thunder storm in the early morning, and mist and light rain for a few hours after dawn.  It wasn't enough to jump start the creek  flowing, but that will come later.  Rain, glorious rain.
And the coolness of the day.  I had to search in the closet for my sweatshirt when I went out the door this evening.  It felt good to feel that smooth comfort on my chilled arms.  Driving into town I thought the sun setting in the west had a different glow.  I love  fall sunsets.  The clearer sky.  The light shining through trees soon to turn red and orange and yellow.
There is something special about fall here in the Ozarks.  The air smells different.  Cleaner and full of promise.  Night comes quicker.  Dawn is later. The open road beckons us all.  I love to travel during this time.  To see familiar places in new ways.  I never knew that valley was so deep.  I never saw that river quite so blue.  I never knew the wind could blow the clouds into such wonderful, mystical shapes...
Tomorrow is the autumnal equinox.  Another season.  Another chance to seize what is important to each one of us.  New conversations.  Old friends.  New experiences.  Old tales.  
Welcome fall.  We have been looking for you.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment