Saturday, July 13, 2013

Company

I always loved it when we had company.  Especially if it was my cousins.  And extra special if it was family from far away that I didn't get to see very often.  I can remember hurrying home from church on Sunday mornings.  I would hold my breath as I got closer to my house.  Closing my eyes, I would wish and wish.  Oh, please, please let there be company, a familiar car pulled up in front, with people spilling out, laughing and hugging and talking all at once.
Sometimes my wish came true.
This picture was taken when I was six.  How do I know that?  Because my cousin Danny Stimpert is sitting in my brand-new doll buggy.  And I was gifted with that buggy on my sixth birthday.
There in the very back, standing tall and very pretty in her summer dress, is my cousin Shirley, Danny's oldest sister.  Next to her, with the beautiful long braids and sweet smile is my cousin Ann Willibrand all the way from Norman, Oklahoma.  She is closest in age to Shirley of all the cousins.
Her little sister Mary is sitting on the sidewalk, there to the left of the picture.  Look at her long braids.  I can't imagine how long it took them to  braid their hair in the morning.  I am next to Mary.  And the king of the day must be little Danny.  And,oh my gosh, he has my doll on his lap!  How I ever allowed that I will never know.  Danny was so young then and I'm sure the aunts and my mom said, "Oh Janey, just let him sit there for the picture."  And of course I did.  Next to Danny is my cousin from ElPaso, Illinois, Kaylene Bowman.  And my brother Paul is there in the back.
Pictures were taken in our family on very special occasions.  We didn't have many of those, but when company came, the trusty Kodak box camera came out and we had to stop playing and smile for everyone.
I had such wonderful cousins.  We all got along well and never fought.  And that is the truth.  Our visits were too far apart and we knew we might not get to see each other for months.  Many of my relatives lived a good hour or two away, over narrow Illinois roads and we couldn't just hop in the car and go and see them.
I got to spend time in ElPaso with Kay and her little sisters and my aunt and uncle.  Grandma Stimpert lived there with them and she always took that opportunity to teach Kay and me the finer points of housekeeping and peeling potatoes and washing dishes.  I don't think she trusted her daughters to teach us what we might need to know when we grew up and had a home of our own. 
  I am thinking about cousins and Illinois now because, in a few weeks,  I am going back to my hometown  to visit.  Andy and I will walk  down the familiar streets.  Some things will be the same.  Some will be different.  But when I stop in front of 711 North Center Avenue, I will close my eyes and see my lovely and loving cousins and remember how much fun it was when they came to call.  

2 comments:

  1. i don't have a lot of good cousin memories from growing up and neither do my children because of the dysfunction in the family. but it is my life mission to make sure that my grandchildren do. it is above all else that we all love and enjoy one another. enjoyed your post!--karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was blessed with a great family. Not a big one, but we got along fine. Glad you enjoyed my post.

    ReplyDelete