Sunday, September 29, 2013

...and evening's gathering light....

The day is winding down.  I sit on my westerly porch looking out over the darkening valley.   Headlights on the road below are winking on.  People coming home from work.  The hour of twilight comes sooner these days.  Gone are the long and languid evenings of late July and August.  Night sounds echo from the grassy brown field.  Crickets and katydids in chorus.
It has been three years since we fell in love.  Three years since we knew this would be our home.  Three years of hard work and planning.  And what a reward we have.
I knew on that September afternoon when I first saw this tree that it was where I wanted to be forever.  My eyes still fill with tears remembering the peace that came just standing on that hill and looking out over the hills beyond.
How could we not fall in love with it? 
And now I am here, watching dusk creep up the hill.  I have work to do.  Tonight.  In the morning.  And still I sit, not wanting to break the spell.  First stars twinkle in the golden sky.  The moon's crescent swings above.  Night wind stirs the leaves on our beloved oak.  Peace, blessed peace....in evening's gathering light....  

2 comments: