Sunday, September 15, 2013

Upon rising early....

It is still dark outside my window.  But there is something about greeting the new day that makes me throw off the warm cover of slumber and still half dazed with dreams, make my way to the porch that faces east.
I stand there, leaning forward to look first to the eastern sky and seek Orion's sparking belt.  He is still there, as he has been since time began.  I wonder how many of us have counted the stars and marveled at their beauty.
Huddled against the cold, bare arms crossed against the chill that comes with the quickening wind, I close my eyes.  And when I open them with cleared vision I smile.  For I can see a faint glow of softest pink kissing the mist covered river hills. 
The sun.  The sun is rising.  And with its brightening orb I whisper thanks again and again.  Another day.  Another day to live.  Another day to embrace.  Another day to spend as I see fit.  And all of this, because I took the time to rise early. 

2 comments:

  1. i like this post. you write so well! i felt like i was there with you. i love getting up early, but i don't do it often. jeff hates when i get out of bed early because he can't fall back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been getting up early every morning since we moved 2 weeks ago. We try to get started when it is cooler....has been so hot...and we have to finish the outside of the house(siding, stairs etc.) before the wedding this coming Saturday. Wish us luck!

    ReplyDelete