Monday, December 22, 2014

Twas the few days before Christmas.....

There are so many things this time of year that draw our attention away from what is truly important.  Yes, we may watch It's a Wonderful Life and think how true it is that George Bailey really didn't get the point about how important he was to everyone around him.  It took an angel-in-training named Clarence to make him see the big picture.  I have been part of several holiday gatherings this year.  Lots of food.  Lots of talk.  Lots of laughing.  But sometimes I sense a certain frantic energy that claims our minds and leads us to think that if we don't have thus and so, the 25th of December will not be all it is expected to be.  And I am overcome with the desire just to get away to a quiet place, somewhere where my mind can finally unravel and be at peace.  After all, isn't that what we have come to love about this time of year?   Family, feasting, singing, candlelight, quiet snowfall, and a starry night when the angels brought the good news to the shepherds?   This Christmas Eve, which is soon approaching, as I light my very own candle in the hushed darkness of my church, I know that finally that Peace that I am looking for will come and visit me....and so I wait.   Waiting for the promise brought in hushed whispers from long ago.  Peace, peace for all. 

2 comments: