Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Just wait....

Haven't we all heard it numerous times?  Almost to the point where we want to cover our ears and shout..."No!  Don't tell me that again!"  That old saw that goes In Missouri, if you don't like the weather, just wait a few hours.  I should know better, but I still get tricked every time.
The latest wild ride of temperature and accompanying precipitation is a good example.  First thing in the morning I check my outdoor thermometer.  Does it say 17 degrees?  Better pile on the sweatshirt and heavy socks.  Does it say 40...guess I can count on wearing my lighter coat later in the day.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.  And again I say wrong.
Case in point.  One morning this week I could see it was going to be one of those balmy January days that we have every so often.  I dressed in my lighter clothes and put on my jacket.  After the first half mile of my walk, I pulled off  my sweatshirt and walked in my shirt sleeves.  That felt so good.  In fact, I could almost imagine I was on a beach somewhere walking in the sand.  Okay.  That is an exaggeration, but you get my point.
Fast forward to that night.  We went to a basketball game in town.  I thought that my lighter coat and a short sleeved top would do.  The wind was blowing but I didn't think too much about it.  When I got out of the car I noticed a nippiness in the air.  That sharp little edge to the breeze should have warned me.  By the time I got out of the gym the temperature had dropped several degrees.  The wind was out of the north and angry. I scurried to the car, head down and arms hugging my sides.  Turning on the heater full blast, I could hear that old refrain...if you don't like the weather, just wait.....  

No comments:

Post a Comment