Monday, February 29, 2016

Wash day....

Monday has always been wash day for me.  One of the perks of living up on the hill is hanging the clothes out on the line that I string between my south-facing porch posts.  Andy installed screw eyes  on each one and I can extend the line around to the west if need be.
On cool days I go out the south door and sniff.  Any smoke in the air means that I will need to wait awhile until it clears.  Fresh and smoke free wash is what I want.
What a joy it is to hang each sheet and towel up and see it flapping in the wind.  Sturdy clothespins hold them tight to the line until they dry.  My tea towels are old and ragged but I love them.  They still do their job and they enjoy getting bleached and snowy in that welcome sunlight.  
The smell.  Yes, that fresh smell that they try to bottle up in laundry detergent these days.  I have never tried it, but I really don't think I want too.
I would not want to live anywhere that forbids me to string up my clothes line and hang clothes out to dry in the sun.  Sometimes when it rains or is too messy they do go into the dryer.  Not my choice, but a matter of necessity.
So if it is Monday, you know where I will be.  Hanging those sheets and towels and clothes out in the fresh air.  And then the pleasure of sleeping on sun-dried sheets...the best aid to a good night's rest I know.

2 comments:

  1. always hang my clothes. all winter indoors too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have room to hang them inside....have to use the dryer then.

      Delete