Sunday, August 21, 2016

Grace Notes

After so many cloudy, rainy and foggy mornings it was a joy to open the window and feel cool, fresh air and clear skies as the sun made a red and pink line on the horizon.  Putting on my boots I hit the trail for my early morning walk.  Grace notes.  That is the thought that immediately came to mind.
Grace notes.  Just a little extra added to a musical score that really is not necessary, but makes the piece sound richer.
Deer are now hiding in the edges of the woods.  I can see them scattering as my steps make crunching noises in the gravel of the road.  One quail and then another flies across from north to south....making that familiar whirring sound with their wings.  No rabbit this morning.  He must be sleeping in today, or else ate his breakfast at dawn.  And the birds.  They are usually silent when fog and mist shroud my hilltop.  But today I heard..and saw...a woodpecker, a summer tanager, and a yellow billed cuckoo.  Our neighbors' rooster was crowing his usual introduction to the day.  It sounds like Beethoven's Fifth.
It felt like fall today.  I am not rushing the season. I know very well that even though we would like it to be cooler, autumn is still almost a month away.  Crisp air, shining dew drops on bright green grass, waving blue stem, golden sun rays lighting up the leaves and late summer blooms.
Grace.  You know what it is.  Something that we do not earn.  Can not buy.  And certainly do not deserve.  How could I not smile on a day like this.  Indeed...notes of grace for you... and me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment