Monday, December 12, 2016

Christmas Blues

I don't think that I am alone in feeling down during this happy time of year.  The closer the time draws to December 25th, the gloomier the sky appears, the song in my heart is still, and  joy, deep down joy, is hard to come by.  We just lit the Advent candle of joy yesterday.  Pastor Kristi gave a wonderful sermon on how to bring joy into your life.  The kids read scripture, prayed, sang, and did a wonderful job.  I heard the words, I smiled, I joked and laughed...but that joy just never did make it to my heart.
This morning started off wrong.  Not a big deal usually, but in my present downward mood, it seemed as if I might as well go back to bed, cover my head with a quilt and forget about everything.  However, I know better than to give in to this kind of feeling.  First of all, it doesn't do any good to dig a deeper hole to sit in.  Secondly, the bigger the pity party I give myself, the worse I feel.
Experience counts.
Experience tells me to put on my coat, leave the dishes in the sink, the clothes unwashed, and head out for a walk.  The first step or two was not what brought me back, but I was soon on my way.  Negative thoughts disappear when you are walking fast.  There is no way you can moan and groan when you are breathing hard, making tracks down the country road, sunlight glowing on the trees and bushes.  Looking up I see the blue sky.  Thank you God for that blue sky.  I take a deep breath.  Thank you God that I am able to walk with ease and breathe this fresh air.  I look around and see the little birds twittering in the brush, looking for food, singing merrily while they fly.  Thank you God for letting me borrow the birds' song.  I hear the cry of the hawk as he soars over the field, dipping his wing, circling over me.  Thank you God for eyes that can see and ears that hear.  Gradually, the heaviness lifts.  At home I have plenty to do. My cupboards are full of good food.  My house is warm and comfortable.  I have companionship.  I have love  to share with friends.  Thank you God.
It works every time.  Just a little walk to chase the Christmas blues..and leave an opening in my heart for joy to come in.

4 comments:

  1. But why, oh why, is it often so hard to take that first step? To just put on the coat and gloves and scarf and open the doorknob and step outside? That walk really does wonders, once we take it. I'm really with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard. But I know that is about the only way I am going to be able to handle it.....and it does work.

      Delete
  2. Walking was once my saving grace, too. No longer able to take long walks, I look forward to breathing in the fresh air of each new day and feeling natures breath on my face. It makes me thankful for what I have and where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that I am so late replying to this! Yes...we do what we can....when I couldn't walk I spent a lot of time out on the porch..just breathing.

      Delete