Saturday, August 18, 2018

Cousins

Seems as if everyone has cousins. Just one of the joys of growing up. Most cousins live near. But some are a distance away. Mine lived in towns at least a few hours drive. They would come to visit on Sunday...sometimes unannounced. I can remember turning the corner as I walked home from church and seeing their car parked in front of the house. I hurried as fast as my little short legs would go,all the time whispering to myself "They're here! They're here!" You have to travel back to those early years to remember that feeling of heart-stopping excitement.  So many things to do. So much fun to have your kinfolk there. As you can see we ranged from nearly grown to almost baby. But everyone had a good time.
My mom had Sunday dinner on the table. Wonderful food and plenty of it. My aunts usually brought dessert. As soon as it was polite to say excuse me, we were allowed to leave the table and run outside to play. I brought out my dolls and we girls had a tea party. The older ones got out the ball and bat or set up the croquet wickets for a match,boys against girls.
As the afternoon deepened into evening we were called in to have left-overs before our company left for home. The sunset and gathering dusk saw the cars pulling out on the road...headed home.
Going back inside to help my mom get chairs back in place and the dishes washed and put away, I felt the longing for cousins who might live a little closer. But somehow, I knew even back then that these surprise visits were the best of all.




No comments:

Post a Comment