Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Goodbye to my jigging friend.

And here he is...JR Strickland in one of his best poses.  Jigging with his wife Dot.  To the music he loved.  
I first met JR and Dot when we moved to Gainesville.  Our paths didn't cross very many times in those early years.  We would see them and visit out at Vaught's or see them on the Square for music events.  It wasn't until we retired and started attending the Tuesday music jams that we really got connected.
JR loved music.  Dot loved to sing.  And they both enjoyed moving to the music.  They would get up when the fiddle launched into a lively tune...Sally Goodin or Fort Smith...and off they would go.  JR usually would invite me and Andy to get up and join them.  What fun.  And what an inspiration he and Dot were to all of us.
I saw him last Thursday.  He and Dot were in their new-to-them car.  We said HI....how are you.  And of course, he said fine.  I gave him a hug, just because we had been missing him since we were out of town so much lately.  As I walked away I remembered the Thursday night of Hootin an Hollarin this year.  He got up and talked to us a little.  His family was visiting and they were going to another music jam on Friday night so "don't look for us here, but we'll be back on Saturday for sure."  I think he jigged a little.  I wish I could have seen him on Saturday but there was such a big crowd . I might have caught a glimpse of him and Dot in the lookers-on while we square danced. 
I  wish I had one more time to hold his hand and smile at him as we kept time to one of those fast tunes......maybe even Orange Blossom Special!  Who knows.
Dance on and play on JR.  We'll see you again...and perhaps jig a little.  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment