Thursday, January 21, 2021

Bread

Since early April of last year we have bought, maybe, 5 loaves of bread from the grocery store.  At that time we were stocking up to avoid having to go to the store every week. Baking our bread would be a good idea. We checked the recipe box and dug out Andy's Aunt Jane's recipe for Scotch Oatmeal Bread.  It has been a family favorite for many years.
It took a couple of tries to get the routine down again.  Baking bread is something we did when we were first married.  I made Swedish Rye Bread from a recipe from my hometown.  It was so good...but it took a lot of time to make.  We decided that oatmeal bread was quicker.  And it was.
I love making bread.  Getting the kitchen warmed up.  Scooping out the flour.  Adding the oatmeal and sorghum and yeast.  Mixing and mixing until your arm is tired.  And then the best part, kneading.  I love to knead bread.  Andy says that I attack the dough like a wrestler attacks his opponent.  Down for the count.  Just another smash to the floor.  I knead and knead and knead until the dough calls out for mercy.  Luckily this bread can take a lot of pounding and still rise magnificently in the bowl.
I love to see that golden mound as I take it to the counter and divide it in two.  It rests for a ten minutes and then gets stretched and formed into loaves.  
The loaves usually rise pretty quickly.  I guess they know I mean business.  No lolly gagging around in my kitchen!  You better do the job right if you are going to go into my oven.  I pop them in and set the timer.  I try not to peek but I can hardly resist sneaking a look to see how things are going.
When the loaves come out I tip them out of the pans on the cooling racks.  Bread really needs to cool some before you try it.  But it is hard to wait.
I get out the butter.  Make sure my bread knife is good and sharp.  Our ancient cutting board is ready and waiting.  Oh....how long will it be...hurry,hurry.  
The beauty of baking bread is that first slice, warm from the oven.  The smell is overpowering.  It makes your mouth water.  Quickly I put the warm slice on the plates and we slather it with butter.  The first bite.  I am hard pressed to describe it.  Heavenly.  Sweet on the tongue. And just about the best taste on earth.
Needless to say we usually consume at least half of the new bread the first day.  Lunch, snacks, and a little mouthful now and then.  Hot tea to go with it.  Just the best  of the best. 
If you have never baked bread, you really should try it some cold wintry day.  It will put a smile on your face...and joy in your heart. 
    












 

1 comment:

  1. I am a bread baker but I have never tried oatmeal bread. Would you please share your recipe with me? I would love to try it please. Thank you in advance Jane!!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete