Monday, October 11, 2021

Fresh Wind Blowing from the West

A fresh wind is blowing from the west.  There were severe storm warnings for us last night but it never got here.  Just a smattering of rain.  On reading the news this morning, I saw there was damage to the west..in Oklahoma and Southwest Missouri.  But here the sun is shining.  The temperature is cool, but not too cold.  I am washing clothes, a usual Monday chore in my household.  The sheets are ready to hang out and then the towels.
There is a fresh wind blowing from the west.  I have decided to quit looking at the news on my phone, other than things I need to know, like the weather and local happenings.  The other news seems to be always the same.  And almost always it has  been hashed and rehashed.  I liked it when the news came once in the morning and once in the evening, thrown on the porch by our paper boy.  It might not have been up to the minute or second, but at least it was short and sweet.....just the facts.  And comics and funny stories and a column or two on the editorial page, a letter to the editor.  Always the good with the bad.  When I am in Mt. Home,  I have the habit of picking up the Sunday Arkansas-Democrat-Gazzette. I throw away the front page and read the inside news. Editorials,well-written and cogent, even if I don't always agree with the writer. A profile or two of worthy individuals who are being lauded for their achievements. And other things....Who were the attendees at the party at the Governor's Mansion?  Who was recently married?  And who were their parents and grandparents?  A lovely picture of the bride in her gown on the lawn of a palatial home.  Also a human interest story about someone who lived a good life, full of interesting details.  I throw away the obituaries since I know no one who lives much beyond Mt. Home.
A fresh wind is blowing from the west. Along those same lines, we do not own a TV.  Haven't for several years.  I listen to St.Louis Cardinals' games on my radio(Go Redbirds...next year!) or local football and basketball games when I know the team and the players.  Sometimes I tune in a MSU Bears' basketball game...women's or men's.  I might disagree with a call and be upset with the outcome, but they will be there to play another day.
A fresh wind is blowing from the west.  Soon I will turn off my computer, after posting this blog.  I will put on my boots, perhaps take my phone to catch a picture of an interesting flower or tree or bush or weed.  We just had our place brush hogged.  We sat on the porch at dusk last night and watched the resident coyotes scavenge a meal from the mowed grass..probably a tasty wood rat that somehow was napping when the mower went over him.  And a few deer who are not bedding down in the tree line came up to nose around.  It is amazing what you see when all that grass is cut...just a whole different world.
Did I mention...a fresh wind is blowing from the west?  And I, for one, am ready to get out and breathe in some clean air.  Try it.  Sure helps my attitude.

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment