Friday, October 15, 2021

October Tales

In case you haven't noticed, Fall of 2021 is here.  The days are still warm with a break now and then when a cold front dares to intrude from the place where cold fronts come from.  I am not a weather guru, so I have the bare rudiments of knowledge about such things.  Highs, lows, approaching storms, high humidity, rain, snow, possibility of snow.  I hope you understand.
Anyway, I am happy to see that October has finally arrived.  How do I know this?  One word..pumpkins.  Everywhere I look someone has pumpkins for sale.  This started way before October first.  In fact, I think I saw pumpkins for sale almost the week after Labor Day.  Not that I am disappointed.  What is there not to love about pumpkins?  They are all sorts of shapes from oblong to round, all sizes from tiny to huge.  They will fill a wheelbarrow.  Or nestle in the largest teacup.  
My experience with pumpkins started when we used to carve them for Halloween.  Most of the time my pumpkin's face was crudely made since all the artistic talent in our family belonged to my dad and my brother Derek.  They made a real production of making sure the faces were original and scary. I was praised for actually trying to make mine look spooky.
I am looking forward to our annual Trunk and Treat on the Square here in Gainesville.  I love seeing all the kids in their masks and costumes.  Sometimes the parents are dressed up too, making it a real family affair.  One year we came up with an idea.  In fact, I think it was the first Trunk and Treat.  Andy dressed me up as a scarecrow.  He loaded me into the back of the pickup and drove me down to the Square.  He unloaded me as if I were a dummy scarecrow.  That was the plan.  I would sit in a chair near the candy.  Andy would greet people.  He would make some excuse why I wasn't there to help him.  I wasn't feeling well, or I had another obligation.  It was fun for a time.  No one could see my eyes blinking but I could see them.  I slumped in my chair and and sat as quietly as possible.  Some people told Andy he had done a good job, making such an amazing thing.  But then it got weird.  A man walked up to us and asked if his little girl, dressed as a princess, could have her picture made standing by the scarecrow.  Thankfully, he didn't ask for her to sit in my lap.  Andy said...Well....sure, that would be okay and led the little one to me.  I held my breath.  The father was so pleased and thanked Andy for letting him snap the picture.  After the pair left, we had a whispered conversation.  I told him that this was not going to end well.  Before we could come up with a plan, a friend of mine approached me in the chair.  I swear, the Devil made me do it.  The person came very close to examine Andy's handiwork.  As soon as they were within whispering distance, I turned my face up to them and said, "Well, it is good to see you too."  And that was that.  I am sure I was the center of many anxious parents'  nightmares for many weeks.  Thankfully there were no children nearby.  I made a quick exit to the truck, took off my mask and hat and emerged to hand out candy too.  I think some people, as they were making their way around the Square again, wondered what had happened.  We did not explain.
Anyway, sometimes you think something will be fun.  But it turns out not to be so.
Don't worry.  I'll look like me when I am handing out candy this year.
Happy Halloween.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment