Friday, August 23, 2013

Emancipated

Freedom.  That is a wonderful word.  I know it doesn't seem like much to those of you who are not technologically challenged.  I bought a laptop a few years ago....I knew I would be moving to smaller quarters eventually and decided I needed to ditch the desktop and its cumbersome entourage.  Besides...it was really out of date.
I admired people in public places, people even my age and older, who were merrily tap-tap-tapping on their tablets and laptops and other devices..wireless.  What a dream!
But since I am basically a coward when it comes to change, I resisted even thinking about undoing my link to the trusty phoneline that brings my internet to town.
The moment of truth came, as it so often does, with the sneaking suspicion that my phone company would not send DSL to the further reaches of the county where I live.  Even though the beautiful lady in Georgia who was in charge of changing my phone service to the new house, assured me that Oh yes....I see several people in your neighborhood have our DSL......
Our phone guy, Chris just stood there and laughed when I told him that story.  He knows better.
Enter my local computer guru Jerry.  He had just signed on with a new/old company that provides DSL out in the sticks.  I did some research and called him right away.  I was his third installation.  And when I said I wanted to go wireless, he said No problem. 
Anxious moments yesterday when I couldn't get it to work.  Jerry and Butch's solution: Don't follow the directions.  Now that was a biggy for me.  I am basically a "follow-the-book" kind of person.  Sometimes I wing it, but that is when I feel confident that I can figure things out.
So here I am.  Wireless.  Great feeling.  A feeling of freedom.  I can be typing on my computer and then pause and look out over the green fields and hollows of my much-loved new home. 
Bliss.  Emancipation.

2 comments:

  1. its amazing, isn't it!? i've had a laptop for about 5 years but i've only had internet at home for a year and a half (it just became available in my neck of the woods) i love the freedom to sit on the deck, in the dining room, or even lay in bed and read some blogs! so glad they could hook you up.--karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too. Still learning all the ins and outs. But it isn't very hard to catch on to.

    ReplyDelete