Sunday, August 4, 2013

Reunion

Next weekend will be a trip down memory lane.  I am returning to my Illinois hometown for my 50th high school reunion.
Since I technically did not graduate from this high school, I will be seeing many people whom I haven't laid eyes on in over 53 years.  That is a long time.
This is my sixth grade picture.  We were top of the heap at F.U. White Elementary that year.  You will notice the stylish skirts and neck scarves that we girls were wearing.  And the boys were looking very grown-up with shirt sleeves rolled up and biceps(?) showing. 
I sent my old yearbooks to the local historical society last year so I can't do any last minute cramming.  But I do have one or two class pictures which will give me some names to go with faces.
But, and it is a big one, ......how do you recognize a face after 53 years?  Teenaged freshness becomes refined as we grow older.  In my mind, my girlfriends are all still 14 and glowing.  Will I know them when I see them?  Will they know me?
I remember going  to Andy's 20th High School reunion in Kirkwood, MO.  He wore a badge with his senior picture on it so people would know who he was.  And I thought back then, "Gee, how old everyone looks!"  Guess I hadn't looked in the mirror that day!
I think it is an exercise in courage to go back and meet your classmates from the past.  I truly do not remember a lot about those early years.  Some people have total recall.  Thankfully, as the years have gone by, only the happy memories stand out.  I don't think I will be the one who stands up and recites all the 'better left in the past' incidents that we all want to forget. 
It will be fun.  It will be informative.  Who will I know without looking at their nametag?  Who will smile at me as soon as I come in the door?
Check back here next week and I will give you the report on how it went.  It should  be interesting.
(By the way, I am in the second row, fourth from the left) 

2 comments: