Saturday, December 14, 2013

Snowed in

We knew this would happen when we built our new home out here on the hill.  We knew for a fact that, eventually, we would be snowed in.  We just didn't count on it happening quite this soon.
But we are doing well.  I notice that my munching habit is alive and well.  And I am trying to reach for an apple or carrot sticks instead of candy or cookies.
Last night I gave in and made waffles.  And they were so good.  I love my little waffle  iron, a gift from Andy's sister and brother-in-law a few Christmases ago.  It is small and makes single waffles that are just right for my plate.  I like mine a little on the soft side whereas Andy prefers his a little more done.  And with the handy control, we each get what we want.  Add a little fruit salad and a little ham and we are good to go.
I have put off making too many cookies yet.  I know that the time is coming but I just don't want to put so much out there where we will be tempted to eat them all before we give them away for Christmas.  That is my plan anyway.  Hopefully the weather will co-operate and I will make it to town before the cookie plate is bare.
The day before yesterday I made leibkuchen.  They are a tradition in Andy's father's family.  His great-grandmother was German.  And leibkuchen, or honey cookies, were a treat at Christmas.  I use Andy's mother's recipe.  They are much better if they age for a week or two.   They may not last that long.  I stored some away when I finished up the last  batch, but somehow the cookie-eater in the house sniffed them out and took a few.  They are pretty labor intensive and involve a lot of chopping and mixing and rolling.  And they are wonderful with a hot cup of tea on a snowy afternoon.
In fact, I hear a voice from the cookie jar calling me right now.  And who am I to ignore such a sweet request?

2 comments:

  1. we are snowed in today! got about 10 inches out of this storm with more predicted for tuesday. just a cozy sunday. i've decided that i'm not making any cookies this year. too tempting to have around and none of us really need them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is getting better here. It will be in the 40's and 50's for a few days and then this weekend we get it again. Christmas Day looks clear though. I am going ahead with the cookie making....and I will give most of them away this week...

    ReplyDelete