Monday, August 24, 2015

Fall is in the air

Don't get excited.  This picture was taken last fall on one of our trips to Caney Mountain.  But the past few days have certainly seemed fall-like in temperature and humidity.  Don't you just love it?  And in my current state of limited walking, it is just the incentive I need to do those things that will get me back on the trail again.  Fall is one of my favorite seasons...right up there with spring, and winter,....and summer.  
There is something about the change of season...any season....that just seems right to me.  My mom felt this way too.  She retired to Florida and lived there for many years.  It was better for her health for sure.  But she missed what she called "the change of seasons".  The slight change from hot to mild and the amount of rain didn't seem very satisfying to her central Illinois soul.  So she would make her annual trip up to see us in August and always stayed until the end of October.  It was her favorite time of year.  
As I look from the porch, I can see the slight change in the trees over on the river bluff hill.  Crickets are sounding very autumnal.  There is a difference in the air.  The foggy mornings have even changed minutely, but living day to day as I do, I can sense that the earth is getting ready to cool down and brighten up.....clear nights,  red and gold vistas,  rising harvest moons,  softer sunsets, mild winds that carry a hint of frost.  Our baby blue birds have passed their bug-catching lessons and are ready to find a place to spread their wings and fly. 
Fly.  How I would love to fly over that hill.  Down in the valley.  See the clear water where the fish run in schools, darting after minnows or breaking the surface to catch the unwary bug.  And then soar up again, over the hill and down along the road that curves and wanders around the houses and farms of my neighbors.  See the cattle in the fields.  Watch the horses feeding on the lush green grass on the water's edge.  See the last of the white tails of deer disappearing into the woods.  Smoke rising from the morning fires in nearby homes.  Sounds of tractors starting up, ready for the day.  Roosters crowing.  All to welcome a new season.
Come on Fall.  We're ready and waiting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment