Monday, August 17, 2015

On being an optimist

I can't help it.  It's in my DNA.  I understand that my dad's mother, Ada Belle Myers, had the same trait.  So perhaps I came by it honestly.  I love life.  I love to smile.  I love to laugh.  And I try to find as many times and places as possible to do indulge in it.  Do you remember that song from the musical South Pacific?  Cockeyed Optimist?  That could be my theme song.
Don't get me wrong.  We all have times when we are sad and hurting.  I have had my share.  But I take my lesson from the beautiful roses in the picture above.  A little rain, some sun, a few thorns along the way...but still it thrives even in the worst of conditions.
Every day is something that we can experience.  Not just endure.  It's hard, I understand.  However,  I have always tried to make the best of what is happening and look ahead.  Maybe  tomorrow won't be any better....but, golly, there is next week and next month.  And next year.
I am a morning person.  Many people in my family were  not morning people.  Case 1.  My brothers.  Both of them.  The conversation at the breakfast  table  went something like this: Me: Blah,blah,blah,so happy, blah,blah,blah.  Paul/Derek: murderous stare, no comment, if you don't hush up we will do it for you.  Yes, it is true.  And I soon learned to quiet down and just keep the  AM joy to myself.  Case 2:  My co-worker at the Amerind Foundation, Sonny Jerkic.  (Living in a ranch house in Arizona for 8 months while we mended pots and recorded data from a dig in Mexico)  Me: Good morning.  Beautiful day. What do you want for breakfast?  Do you think we'll get done with Unit 3 today?  etc. etc.   Sonny: blind, blank stare, no comment, familiar sense that I am talking to a stone who is not responding to my chatter.  Finally, after the third or fourth morning we had  a talk.  Rule for mornings:  Take the breakfast order the night before.  No talking to room mate  before 10 AM.  Problem solved.
Don't you know that I was well pleased when  I fell in love and married  a man who was a morning person as well.
My philosophy is this.  God gave me a good life.  My job is to show my appreciation for that in being the happiest, kindest person I can be.  And sometimes it just spills over into uncontrollable joy.  And optimism.  So be it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment