Friday, October 7, 2016

A vagabond kind of day....

Are you familiar with the old fable entitled The Grasshopper and the Ant?  It seems the grasshopper fiddled the time away in play when he should have been preparing for winter.  The ant was busy putting up food to eat during the cold and nasty weather to come.  You got it!  The poor grasshopper came to the ant and begged for food when the chill winds blew and howled around him.  And she said, No,no, you feckless creature. You shall not share my bounty.  You should have thought of  this instead of fiddling your time away!
Alas, I was the grasshopper a few days ago.  Sunshine and balmy winds pulled me out of the house against my will and caused me to neglect my daily duty.  I left the broom standing beside the doorway, the clothes in a heap on the bed, the iron sitting on the ironing board, the dishes in the sink,  and not a morsel of food fixed for supper.
Shameful, shameful me.  I hang my head in sorrow and plead no contest to my crime, my dereliction of duty, my abandonment of good sense and sensibility.  Guilty, guilty as charged!
But...I did wander down the road to the river and dip my feet into that clear and icy stream.  I talked to the minnows and fat fish who were searching for food under the rocks and ripples.  I admired the reflections of turning leaves shimmering in the watery mirror.  I climbed a hill and stretched out full length, closing my eyes, serenaded by the song of that sweet temptress wind, lulling me to sleep.  Dreams of languid days walking and laughing down the hill.  Stopping to smell the sweet scent of flowers blooming just beyond the bank.  Sweet,sweet summer.  
As the sun began to set, I awoke, and yawning,made my way home.  I had no quick excuse for the state of my house and lack of  food on the table.  Ah, feckless me!  The grasshopper who had enjoyed  a beautiful gorgeous fall day....a vagabond... with no remorse.  


No comments:

Post a Comment