Tuesday, June 3, 2014

An all-around porch.....

This is my afternoon/evening view from my "all around the house" porch.  This is one of the features of my house that I love.  A porch around all four sides.  We debated whether we wanted a north and south porch, east and west porch, just one, two or three.  But, considering the fact that the view is spectacular any way you look up on this hill, we chose option A. 
And I am glad we did.  We are slowly getting acquainted with all the things this porch will do.  It will hold many people who come for a wedding in September.  It will stand firm during ice and snow and steady wind from the north.  It will be our dining room on silky soft days in May and June.  It will allow itself to be draped with drying clothes hung on a line stretched from post to post.  It is a gathering place for late evening musing.  It is the sacred, hallowed space where morning sun shines and brightens my first prayer.  And in the hush of midnight its secret shadows speak of stars and moon and whirling planets, an ancient tale of unknown worlds and dreams.
It is my refuge.  It is my solace.  It is my place.

2 comments:

  1. there certainly is something special about a porch, and yours sounds wonderful! i am so glad you are enjoying living in your new home! we are in the process of tearing off our back deck (it came with the house) its too large and rotting away. going to build a much smaller one--just enough for a couple of rockers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan! We sold our house in town to a friend. The first thing she did was to tear off the backyard deck and build a beautiful all weather room there. It looks great. Wish we had had the money to do that when we owned it! But I love my porch.....worth every penny we spent on it.

    ReplyDelete