Thursday, June 19, 2014

I will dance for you.....

I will dance for you.  Tomorrow night when the fiddler rosins up his bow and the guitar strums its first few deep beats, I will be holding you in my mind.  I will see your face, still young, as you smile and shuffle your feet, ready to find the rhythm of the tune that will set us all moving.  I will feel your hand in mine, turning me around and around and then letting me go as I move through the figure of the square.  And then meeting me again, you will swing me and twirl me and send me on to dance with another.  Listening to the caller, we lose our sense of time and space.  And all you and I can do is follow with our arms stretched out, forming the circle, breaking into a line, dancing, dancing into the night.
You won't be there tomorrow night.  You are gone.  Somewhere high above us you are looking down.  Smiling. Shuffling your feet in time to the music.  Reaching out and joining us in spirit.
And I will close my eyes and smile and sing you a little song that lives in my heart.  Because I am dancing for you, my friend.  I am dancing for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment